From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:33:18 -0400

I too am disappointed to say we've had no ghosts haunting our old fire station,
but. . . .  in the age-old firefighter/museum tradition of "never let the
truth get in the way of a good story" we do have a fun and rather persistent
rumor that was started by a firefighter/board member.

When we first began renovations of the old firehouse in late 1980s, a this
fellow was working at the building on a Saturday afternoon with his young
daughters.  Back then, it was a kinda spooky place (as old buildings under
renovation are apt to be) and so naturally the daughters asked about ghosts.
Without missing a beat their dad said, "Oh sure, the ghost of the daughter of
old Fire Chief Schoberlein haunt the top of the hose drying towner."
...(wide-eyed gasps on the part of his daughters!)... He continued, "If you
listen carefully, when the wind blows right, you can hear her play the piano --
she loved playing the piano for her dad -- and does it here to keep the spirit
of her father entertained." ....(and of course at the time we had a cracked
window at the top of this tower which did indeed "sing" a little when the wind
blew in the right direction)

Well, here it almost twenty years years later.... that guy has now retired as a
firefighter, he's still on my board (and STILL making up stories ugh!). His
daughters have now grown, married, and now have daughters of their own,
and.... last year I overheard one of them telling their daughter the story
about the "ghost of Chief Schoberlein's daughter"

- David -
David Lewis Curator (and chief ghost-buster)
Aurora Regional Fire Museum
www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org