From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:15:42 -0500
At 09:38 AM 3/20/98 EST, you wrote:
>Our institution is actively researching late 17th century costume.  The
>specific time we are looking into is 1670-1710.  We are a historic site in
>Pennsylvania and looking into clothing of the English and Dutch persuasions.
>Any suggestions?

Do you want actual patterns or just pictures?  I'd first start out with
looking at portraits from the time period you are researching.  The
clothing period you are researching is refered to as "Restoration" by Lucy
Barton in her book "Historical Costuming for the Stage" which is an
excellent book for starting costume history research.  Come to think of it,
the movie "Restoration" might be worth a look too but bear in mind that it
is Hollywood and might not be 100% accurate.

Nora Waugh's "Corsets and Crinolins" is an excellent source on just that.
There is also another lady, Janet Arnold, who wrote several books on period
patterns that were taken directly from period garments.  Any good theater
bookstore will have those books.  The Cunningtons wrote some good period
costume books as well.

For period pieces and patterns, Amazon Dry Goods is very good but is a bit
expensive.  The pieces and patterns are definitely worth it.  The Compleate
Costumer's Catalog is another great source for finding period patterns,
materials and garments.  I've got some other period costume catalogs around
that I'll dig up this weekend.

And if you're looking for a period researcher to help out, my undergrad
degree is in costume history and I do freelance.  (Had to put that
shameless plug for myself in there.  :)

Let me know if you need any more help!!

Deb Fuller
WIMSA