From:
Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:20:40 -0400
Dear Anna--
The new Feigenbaum Hall of Innoviation at the Berkshire Museum (
berkshiremuseum.org) addresses these issues like these.  As a whole, the
exhibit uses the process of innovation to explore the contributions of
Berkshire innovators in art, science, culture and technology.   One of the
interactive sections is about overcoming obstacles and another is about
creating solutions for problems (a different kind of obstacle).  As a member
of the interpretive team, I remember lively conversation about how to create
an interactive that works for each and we did do prototyping for them.  For
obstacles, we have a table with metal puzzles (those bar puzzles, if you
will) and a label that talks about trying and trying again.   It also has
paper mazes, which seem to engage different types of learners.   We found
that we needed to color code different levels of difficulty, so either you
could try an easy one and move up;  or try a hard one, perhaps not succeed,
and try at a different level.   For creating solutions to problems, a fun
selection of materials is provided and participants are asked to design a
solution to a household chore they don't like doing.  My favorite from the
prototyping:  a u-shaped toothbrush to make brushing your teeth go faster!
 You can see photos of some of the exhibit elements, including, towards the
bottom, the puzzle activity and the problem-solving on Katherine McKusker,
the exhibition designer's website:
http://www.kjmccusker.com/Site/Katherine_McCusker_Design/Pages/Berkshire_Museum.html

Hope this is helpful.

Linda