From:
Allan Mccollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:19:56 EDT
Hello all,

I'm looking for help and advice!

I'm teaching a course for young sculptors at The Massachusetts Institute of
Technology Visual Arts Program (MIT VAP) this year, and there is a very
"practical" theme I'd like to explore with them.

While many artists wait for offers to come to them, many others make things
happen themselves by contacting others and sharing their enthusiasms with
organizations who may be looking for projects to support. I'm hoping to help the
students explore the world of writing "proposals," as I figure developing such
skills will not only help them in their careers, but also will help them learn
to consolidate their ideas, better define themselves, better understand the
needs of others, and generally "communicate."

I know that different organizations have different guidelines for artists to
follow when submitting proposals, and I wonder if some of you might be willing
to share them with us. Possibly some organizations post them online, or make
them available as downloadable PDF files? Or maybe some of you could email
them to me directly as attached files?

I hope to let the students read different guidelines to get a good general
idea of the way different organizations function in this area -- not only those
specializing in the arts alone, but also museums of all types and sizes (and
budgets large and small!).

Thanks for any help,

Allan McCollum

Visiting Associate Professor,