From:
Nadia Romanoski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:56:42 -0800
Dear List! My opinion is a foreign one as I work in Mexico. It's very interesting to see how we share similar problems even us are prone to think that you don't struggle with financial cuts, underpaid staff and all things you've mentioned. But, at list you have a forum to discuss it and to share similar experiences, something is very hard to find in Mexico where job offers are not open in Listservs or in job list as AAM and others you've enlisted, and where it is REALLY important to know the right people.

I want to add three things about all that has been said.
1. Networking has been very useful for me, not exactly to get a job but for professionalize myself asking questions to experts and at the same time letting them to know me. People in this Listservs have been very kind sharing their ideas and I’ve met wonderful people otherwise I would not.
2. I think it’s good to look at job descriptions and try to get training in the required areas of the position you want to be in. So, first you have to know what you want (as other person said before) this could be done while you are in other job or as a volunteer. In my case as I am in the evaluation field I'm trying to complete my preparation in all areas an evaluation job description has, not that I'm looking for a job right now, but to know, and to be the qualified people this field needs. And who knows? to get that position later.
3. Finally, I recommend the book "Good to great and the social sectors" (Jim Collins, 2005) my boss let to me. It helped me understand why museum profession struggle with such things as financial problems and why if I want to work in this field I have to accept less payment than positions in business sector. But, at the same time it shows how we can be better in what we're doing and do not assume financial scenario is going to change (especially in my country). It says it is not enough to be good, you need to be great!