Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:29:10 -0500
:| Rich Johnson asked:
:| >I'm curious; do you ask them to describe _how_ there visit was
:| >memorable or worthwhile?

Ross Weeks replied:
:| We make a judgment call when we inquire whether, when they returned home,
:| they would suggest to their friends/families that it would be worth going
:| out of their way to visit when they pass through this isolated region of
:| Virginia.  (rating on a 1-5 scale)
:| And then we interpret that response in relation to their other reactions,
:| and also note any evidence of special enthusiasm (or lack thereof) when the
:| question is answered.  It's very imprecise.  But no, we don't really want
:| to tangle with the question of "how" their visit was memorable or
:| worthwhile.  Nor do we have any need to know.

For what you are looking for, it sounds like you have a pretty solid
methodology.  The "how" question migt be better asked as "what did
you enjoy the most?" which you are probably already asking.

:| Again, Ross wrote
:| :| As to museum marketing methodology in general?  I also doubt it
:| :| is truly possible to "position" ourselves as do Ralph Lauren and
:| :| Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.  We are not in the trend-setting
:| :| and brand identity businesses, and shouldn't be, in my opinion.
:|
:| and Rich replied:
:|
:| >Don't be so fast to run down "brand identity", especially because
:| >you seem to benefitting from it in at least one sense (the positive
:| >word of mouth you mentioned earlier).  A "brand identity" reflects
:| >the core ideas and qualities that people can count on your brand
:| >for.  Whether that is chicken soup, fashionwear or a particular
:| >level of museum experience, it is one of the more valuable
:| >intangible assets any operation can develop.

To which Ross replied:
:| Never having been involved in creating a "brand identity" in the accepted
:| layman's sense of the term, I didn't intend to run it down.  Ideas and
:| qualities:  Yes, that's what museums and the knowledge industry is all
:| about.  But as for Joe Camel and Aunt Jemima, no.

"Brand identity" covers a lot of things; names and logos are a part
of it, and probably less important for museums than for a corporate
product line (although you wouldn't think so, given the amount of
money some museums spend on logo and institutional image
consultants... but I digress).  Unfortunately, the attractions that
are competing with museums for attendee's time and money --amusement
parks, quasi-historical dinner theater, etc,-- are using brand
merchandising tools.  The challenge for museums is to find avenues
to compete against those attractions without diminishing or
compromising the core values of the institution.

Rich Johnson
Director of Marketing
Cotton Expressions, Ltd.