Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:00:35 -0500
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Christopher Henry Whittle wrote:

:| I am not saying, either, that some museums haven't started the paradigm
:| shift, there arte certainly many good examples  but until public
:| perception of museums change I think you can expect relatively low
:| salaries and funding levels.  All that has to happen is that the public
:| get so enthused about museum going they call their local, state, and
:| federal politicians requesting increased funding!  The "we've always done
:| it this way, because we know what is best attitude" will not generate the
:| grass roots support needed.

Every time the discussion about "Should museums educate or
entertain?" comes up, the prevailing debate includes the premise
that you can only have one at the expense of the other.  If museums,
libraries or any form of voluntary learning is to garner monetary
support, both imperatives must be seen as complimentary, not
conflicting, components to success.

The fun and enjoyment has to come from within the ongoing,
successful achievement of the mission of the museum, period.  If
that isn't there from the Director on down to the newest volunteer
working in the gift shop, no amount of public or private money will
make your institution anything more than an overfunded mausoleum.

Rich Johnson
Director of Marketing
Cotton Expressions, Ltd.
312-850-2545