From:
Astrid Drew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:03:42 -0500
Elizabeth: maybe teens in more rural areas have a harder time finding jobs.  If they have issues with transportation---such as relying on a bus schedule---that can also hamper job prospects. I think what Deb was saying is that experiences can vary widely and an applicant shouldn’t always be thrown out based on strict criteria.

I know at least two people (though not museums) who have confided that they’ve applied to close to 100 jobs within the past year---their circumstances are different, but all the same, it’s not outside the realm of possibility.  If you have a certain skill set, you can potentially manage a range of positions, within and outside museums.  Furthermore, regarding advice that’s flying around out there, I’ve repeatedly seen the advice that it’s ok to apply to a job you may not be completely qualified for, within reason of course (for example, position calls for a degree but you have comparative experience).