From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:54:07 -0400
I agree with Greg, "do not touch" signs, like locked doors, only work
on basically honest people. Since your site is docent led, there is no
substitute for the personal reminder and a vigilant eye. I would argue
that most of what your museum can do to mitigate against destructive
visitor behavior is based on sound exhibition and tour/program design
and vigilant and creative educators. But this thread is about signage
and others have made personnel related suggestions.

I think any preventive steps you take should be based upon two
questions. What LIKELY behavior do you want to prevent and what types
of bad behavior are you willing to put up with. Of course we don't
want visitors to poke at an antique chair to see what it's filled with
or trace their fingers across a credenza to check for dust, but lets
face it, if that's the worst that happens to your artifacts during
their exhibition your museum is leading a charmed life. Artifact
rotation and regular conservation measures can mitigate most of this
minor touching. If you wanted to prevent ALL of this kind of poking,
you would put everything behind ropes or under vitrines. Otherwise
people WILL touch. They will. Get used to it or put things out of
poking distance.

You want to prevent the truly destructive forces let loose in your
museum. I think these can boil down to two types. Rambunctious groups
(mostly, but not just kids usually in packs) and people who use the
furniture for its original purpose, not realizing they are parking
their butt on a 200 year old divan. The former can only be prevented
by diligent staff, parents, and chaperones and creative educators and
exhibition designers. Signs will not work, and indeed may exacerbate,
people who do not exhibit some base level of decorum and proper museum
behavior. How to deal with this type of behavior is for another thread.

For the people that sit on artifact chairs and set things down on
antique furniture absent mindedly, gentle signs and reminders will
help. For chairs I have often seen museums simply tie a ribbon or rope
across the seat. It can go left-to-right between arm rests or top to
bottom from chair back to seat. The important point is that is should
prevent a casual sitter from sitting without hurting the sitter or the
chair. Putting replica food, silver, pewter ware or some other period
appropriate props provides a gentle, visual cue that this piece of
furniture is part of the display not a useable counter top.

There are some things you can do to help prevent this kind of absent
minded destruction. The two I see transgressed the most would be 1)
the lack of appropriate furniture.  If the only seating you provide on
a 30 minute or longer tour are chairs that are artifacts, people WILL
try to sit in them. Provide some sort of seating at mid points in your
tour, especially if your visitor-ship skews older. People need to sit.

2) The other mistake I see a lot of museums, especially house museums,
make is that they don't maintain a separation  between the  functional
areas and exhibition areas of their site.  Visitors should know,
without asking or being told, when they are in an exhibition area and
when they are in a functional area like an ante-room, museum store, or
class room. If you use antique furniture or reproductions to put your
cash register and brochure rack on, don't be surprised if people set
their stuff down on an artifact that looks just like it in an
exhibition area.  And don't put out chairs that mimic the period and
style of your artifacts and do put them in neutral, not exhibition
areas. Make it as easy as possible for the visitor to distinguish
artifact from furniture without signage.

If you have a hands-on room, interactives, or demonstrations, make
sure it is clear when the visitor can touch and when they can't. In
this instance signs are a must. Don't let the visitor try to figure
out on his or her own what they can touch and what they can't.

If you choose some sort of immersive, experiential experience at your
museum that erodes this distinction between function and exhibition,
that is fine. But be prepared for an exponential increase in
destructive visitor behavior and plan for it in advance.

Can you tell I am off work today? I seemed to have rambled on....

Matt White