From:
Beth Tischler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:25:32 EST
I received this email today from the Libertarian Party: (i would appreciate
no personal attacks on the Libertarian Party -- they are severely
misunderstood!)

. . .
Only one other American political document is looked to with as much

> authority and reverence as these two: The Federalist Papers.
>
> In these 85 anonymously published essays, James Madison, Alexander
> Hamilton and John Jay set down the political and moral reasoning behind
> the Constitution – the document that laid the groundwork for the freest
> government the world had yet seen.
>
> Few documents hold more awe to Libertarians than the Federalist Papers.
> And now, through a special arrangement, the Libertarian Party has
> access to five pages of the original 1788 first edition.
>
> These documents have been made available to the LP by the Remnant Trust
> – a Hagerstown, Indiana-based business that buys, preserves and
> displays historic documents.
>
> The Remnant Trust has recently discovered a copy of the original
> Federalist Papers that is missing some pages.  The company has decided
> to use this opportunity to "spread history around" and help the LP by
> preserving each page for individual display.
>
> Protectively encased in a beautiful, clear Lucite display case, one of
> these beautiful pieces of American history could be yours to keep or to
> give to a special Liberty lover you know.
>
> These pages of the Federalist Papers are ready to be shipped in time
> for Christmas delivery.  For a minimum $2,000 donation, the top five
> donors will receive one page of the original 1788 edition of the
> Federalist Papers in time for Christmas.
>
> In order to guarantee Christmas delivery we request you submit your
> donation by Thursday at 1 PM Eastern Time.  Orders after then will
> still be taken, but we cannot guarantee Christmas delivery on those.
>
> If you would like to own this piece of American history please visit
> http://www.lp.org/holidaygifts.html.

how do y'all feel about this? should the original copy with the "missing"
pages (which are apparently not "missing" but just out of the binding, since
they are being sold, be put back together and kept intact as a whole, or
should the love be spread around? (don't bother with the website, it doesn't
give any info)
thanks
beth
ps thanks for all the London suggestions. i am going to be a VERY busy girl.