From:
Mario Bucolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:38:30 +0200
On 11-08-2005 22:05, "Indigo Nights" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This appears to be a great synopsis, and thank you for
> doing it.
>
> QUESTION:  Given the high cost of travel, the
> multinational membership base, the tragic low wages
> for museum staff, and the advances in technology, are
> ICOM and perhaps AAM giving any consideration to
> holding videoconferencing and/or web-based meetings?
>
> With the former, participants could gather in multiple
> locations and conceivably be a part of the conference.
>  With the latter, folks could join in on line at their
> office or home.  With the advancements in multimedia
> on computers, it could be quasi live.

It is what I think about (i don't remember where I post this, probably on
ICOM list) to try to have more virtual meeting will be possible.
People can meet in Chicago and members from the rest of the world can
connect with that group.

Will be fantastic to share a calendar (I cam on my own server) where any
members can see when there are meeting and can join it in a virtual way
(Skype, Ichat,MSN etc).

In theory will be possible a meeting every week in 52 places in the world.
Obviously every members are free to virtual attend the meeting they want.
Meeting can be divided for different topic.

After every meeting a report will be published on a common web site.

Cost nothing and will have an incredible grade of efficiency.

Mario

PS: there are no need of special equipment, only a laptop with a internet
connection, better if Wi-fi. There are many place in the world where wifi is
free or where will cost 10$ an hour...

--
Mario Bucolo, ABIS MultiCom & Museumland CEO
Skype user: mariobucolo

Visit http://www.museumland.net
The WorldWide Portal to museums and cultural heritage

CulturMed Conference
http:// www.culturmed.info

ABIS MultiCom S.r.l. - Multimedia & Communication
Via Milano n.61 - 95127 Catania - Italy
Ph: +39-095-38.70.92
Ph: +39-02-38596640
No fax, just email!