From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:51:31 EDT

I have done much the same...and read through 15 years of meeting minutes  and
correspondence this past Fall. I do find interesting tidbits and much useful
information. Any goals, etc., that were not attained for the museum though, I
 take great care to find out why they were never realized. Often there is a
very  good reason for this. Ultimately, your museum's mission statement
reflects what  your predecessors wanted the museum to be.

One thing I found while reading - was that the organization that  established
the museum I work in also supported other related  organizations...mainly
environmental causes. They volunteered and also raised  funds/donated monies. I
know the only reason that they ceased doing this is  because they are elderly
and most are, as a group unable to continue with these  efforts.

Knowing this - I'd like to continue with these charitable efforts.  These
activities are reflected in their mission statement.

And I regularly talk to the few CCC alumni still around who had  established
the museum and I have learned much about the history of the museum.  Much of
what I read about in the minutes and other correspondence...I had  already
learned of from speaking with the alumni...but there were other details  I found
in records that were important for me to know.

What would be great - is if I had the time to extract these details from  the
records and have a booklet available for training and interpretation, etc.,
for future generations. Especially for those that do not have the benefit of
speaking with the museum's founders.

I do include some of the history of our museum during tours and it does add
more meaning. People do want to know who started the museum and how the
collections were acquired, etc.

As far as shaping the future of our museums - so long as it doesn't deviate
from the mission of the museum...yes this is something we can do. If we were
to  deviate from the mission, we'd have to amend our statement.

BTW I've been to your museum a couple of times and each time I've dreamed
about being able to play on the court there!

Pam

In a message dated 6/7/2006 11:45:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,