From:
Cynthia Nieb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:56:23 -0600
Belinda's guidelines are excellent.  I'd also like to add the following:

1.  No matter what you're applying for/to do, be sure that your product
benefits the community, however you define community.  But be honest--don't
claim to change the lives of 2 million people if only sixty people will be
touched.

2.  Have a long-range plan.  Nothing is more convincing than a project that
fits within a 1, 2, 5, and ten year plan.

3.  Know what has been done in the past and refer to those
standards--improve upon them if possible.  For instance, if you need to work
on a ship, see what the standards are for ship repair and MENTION THEM.  If
you want to promote a particular community project, research how other
communities have succeeded in this area.  Use them as a prototype, and
explain how your plan better fits your needs.

4.  Partner with any other group that makes sense.  Partnership is a real
buzz word.  In its defense, I will say that the more partners involved with
a project, the greater chance that the project will endure.

I'm sure that others have far more helpful ideas!

Cynthia D. Nieb
Director, SHSI Grant Programs & Community Development
600 East Locust Street
Des Moines, Iowa  50319
Telephone:  515-281-8754
Fax:  515-242-6498

Be part of Cultural Advocacy Day on February 20, 2003!