From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:58:19 -0800
AH HA! This is the topic I had thought about asking.

I happen to fall into the "further complicated"
catagory.  I will be returning this fall to school.
Most likely I will be going to Middle Tennesee State
University for a MA in History with a concentration in
Public History (with a more specific focus on
Preservation, Cultural Resources (government), or
Museum Studies).  I will probably augment that with
the educataion certificate.  OR I may end up at BU
with a degree in American Studies.  My intention has
been to find a job as a professor, but as it looks, I
may have to do other things while doing the Comm.
College or local university.  That is why I am leaning
towards the MTSU program because I can choose classes
in Museum Studies.
The reason I chose to go with the AMST programs was
because they offered me the choice of going to a
variety of places afterward.  I could teach (K-12 or
College), do musuem education, work as a
preservationist (as I am doing now), write (if only
that paid the bills), or who knows what else (Web
design as things are looking).

This seach for a masters program has caused me to look
close by to my current spot (Boston) but I also looked
at Tennesee because their program was so
multi-faceted.  So I would agree, decide if you are ok
with being pigeon holed (although that is not always
true-and I dont want to get into a war of words) or if
you want something that is a bit too nebulus for most
(like my BA in Historic Preservation...what the heck
is that?)

Good luck!

P.S. Nicholas, be sure to keep an eye out for my
resume in two years!

=====
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]
Webmaster/Program Assistant