From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:28:45 -0800
I have too many to list....Carnegie (CAR-nagie) in
Pittsburgh...the big igloo in the Artic section still
keeps me thrilled.  I drag my friends there as many
times as I can.  The Lithuanian stuff at the Holocaust
Museum.  The original planetarium in Pittburgh
(Buehl).  I still want to go back and get that
projector for my collections.  The museums in London
were amazing.  I love the train collections at York
(England) and in Strasburg, PA.  When the National
Museum of Industrial Heritage is ready, go!

But I will tell yah, the one place that haunts my
memory and the place that I would love to have a job
at is the Wagner Free Institute of Science in
Philadephia.  WOW!  If any one on list has a
connection to them I would love to set up a web site
for them.  They are fantastic.  I will tell you why.

I was taking a tour of various museums in Philadelphia
while I was an intern in the State Museum/Historical
Commission.  I went to Franklin.  That was ok.  Then
we go off to the "projects" the slums whatever.
Basically we are thinking that if we sit still too
long we are going to have our hubcaps taken off.  So
we pull up to this place (1860's Greek Revival).
There are no major signs, the paint is peeling a bit,
an iron fence and a neatly trimmed lawn.  Not a speck
of graffiti.  You enter and there is a little gift
shop.  But you are hit with this overwhelming smell of
OLD.  Down the corridor is a lecture hall, with the
orignal cane seats.  The counter is orignal there are
specimens in jars.  If you close your eyes you can
hear the men from the 1870s listening to free lectures
(they are actually a degree granting museum!  But they
only use it for donors).

So then you go upstairs and it is a three story hall
running the length of the room.  It is filled with old
cases and skeletons.  The labels are current as of
1870s.  Some are wrong, some are old "un-pc" names.
The room has a arch to it on the top with cast iron
girders.  I just died.  That room was amazing.  The
knowledge that the place has not changed since 1870 is
amazing.  I would give a vital organ to have a job
there.

SO I wanted to give the info for how to get there if
anyone is close by.  Please go if you have the chance.
 It is amazing.  Just dont take the Jag.

Aaron

P.S.  If anyone knows someone there, please find out
if they want a free web site!

Wagner Free Institute of Science
1700 W. Montgomery Avenue
Philadelphia, PA, USA

Admission: No charge; donations accepted
Phone: 215-763-6529
Fax: 215-763-1299
Schedule: Tuesday-Friday 9:00-4:00. Call for program
announcements. Closed national holidays
Museum Shop: No
Cafeteria: No
Handicap Access: No
Child Programs: Yes
Student & Senior Citizen $10; Individual Friend $25;
Family Friends $35; Contributor $50; Donor $100;
Sustainer $250; Patron $500; Benefactor $1,000 & up

=====
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]
Webmaster/Program Assistant
Historic Massachusetts