From:
John Engman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:58:14 EST
Mandy -

University of Wisconsin developed the first arts management program within a
business school and probably is the best. UCLA also has an arts management
concentration within its business school. It is not necessary, though, to go
to a b-school that has a concentration in arts management. The schools that
offer a public/non-profit major will cover all the skills you need to work in
the financial end of operations.

Unfortunately, the stature of the business school does bear on hiring
decisions. I have an MBA from Northwestern with a major in public/non-profit
management and the name does get me in the door as well as my "sterling" job
experience. However, since most non-profits don't have MBA's on staff, they
are not as smitten with the name as the private sector and, indeed, do not
know the reputations of most b-schools.

John Engman