From:
Wade Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:40:15 -0500
Education Manager, Full-time

Reports to Kathleen A. Christie, Senior Director of Arts and Humanities

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel, New York

Job Purpose

The Education Manager is an integral position within the department of Education & Outreach and is involved with a wide range of educational programs for diverse audiences relating to the content of The Museum of Bethel Woods, which tells the story of the 1960s and the Woodstock festival, and the organization’s vision and mission, which celebrate our identified lessons of the ‘60s: individual expression, heightened cultural engagement and social consciousness, empowerment, and inspiration. This position oversees the implementation and expansion of programs which ensure we are inspiring, educating, and empowering through the arts and humanities for all, including school groups, adult audiences, and youth/teen/family programs. A major focus will be on the development, implementation, and evaluation of educationally sound, inquiry based programming, expanding audience engagement, and collaboratively executing our strategic plan.

Special Duties/Tasks

This position works within a dynamic team, whom administers and facilitates broad-reaching educational programs. Work includes implementing and enhancing current programs and creating new programs to help better serve our audiences and deepen the execution of our core strategies.

 *   Create, implement, monitor, and evaluate educational and outreach programs for diverse audiences

 *   Assist with the development of new programs that effectively forward the achievement of our strategic plan

 *   Train, mentor and evaluate volunteers and teaching artists

 *   Effective participation in the use of established systems to administer programs and track data

 *   Provide departmental support for operational, management, and administrative activities, including deliverables for operational plans, budgets, grant proposals, reports, and marketing

 *   Cultivate and strengthen relationships with teachers, schools, districts, and other education-related groups to increase both school and museum based educational programming

 *   Develop meaningful and mutually beneficial relationships with select community partners, both organizations and individuals, with whom we can expand the reach of our mission

 *   Represent the ideals and culture of the organization in the local, regional, global and virtual communities

 *   Perform all clerical, preparatory, and reflective work necessary to execute all programs (communications with participants, including responding to inquiries, preparing invoices, and creating preparatory packets; meetings with BW staff; mailings; communications with volunteers; evaluation tools etc.).

 *   Develop and expand audiences

 *   Participate as an enthusiastic member of the organization’s “One Team.”

Requirements

 *   Bachelors Degree in related field (Masters Degree preferred)

 *   Working knowledge of Common Core Standards and capacity to authentically design aligned programs

 *   Minimum two years of direct teaching experience, either in a classroom, museum or community based setting, with a clear ability to demonstrate skills in classroom management, curriculum design and writing, inquiry based learning and arts integration

 *   Fundamental belief in the power of the arts to transform individuals and communities

 *   Excellent writing skills

 *   Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including comfort speaking in front of various sized groups and interacting with people of all ages and backgrounds

 *   High standards of organization, attention to detail, reliability and a professional, pleasant public demeanor; an ability to maintain order and calm in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment is essential

 *   Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.)

 *   Aware, empathetic and responsive to the needs of various communities

 *   Strong conceptual grasp of contemporary and leading-edge issues relating to digital learning, formal and informal learning; experience developing digital learning tools is a plus; familiarity with new technology (video production, digital documentation, social media, etc) is a plus

 *   Ideal personal characteristics include

    *   Friendly

    *   Organized

    *   Collaborative/Team Player

    *   Flexible/adaptable

    *   Patient

    *   Creative

    *   Tech-savvy

    *   Outgoing

    *   Self-starter/capable of working autonomously

    *   Reflective

    *   Attentive to detail

    *   FUN!

 Reply to Kathleen Christie, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

--

Wade Lawrence | Museum Director and Senior Curator, The Museum at Bethel Woods

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts inspires, educates, and empowers individuals through the arts and humanities.