From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 10:00:56 -0500
Many museums have "museum theatre" programs.  These are paid staff who
create, produce, and present theatrical presentations (storytelling,
theatrical pieces, first person interpretations, demonstrations, etc) within
the museum.

You may look to outside groups but you may not be able to guarantee the
quality of the product in your exhibit halls.  You may be able to hire in
performers who will come with good recommendations and quality training.
You may also look into creating your own (even if small) museum theatre
program.  Actors may be paid or volunteers, there are plenty of scripts
available out there, and you can bring in a director.

I would do some research on the different types of programs and offerings
there are.  Try going to the website for the International Museum Theatre
Alliance (www.imtal.org).  This organization has members around the globe,
resources and a message board where you can get some additional help.

A good starting resource would be the book Museum Theatre Communicating with
Visitors Through Drama by Catherine Hughes  published by Heinemann.

Tessa Bridal also has a new book out which is a wonderful resource.

You will find many ways that things are done and many different models.
Some great examples are NJ Aquarium, Museum of Science in Richmond, VA, or
the Smithsonian.

Good Luck.  Let us know what you decide to do!

Christina
Christina M. Myatt
Theatrical Programming Coordinator
Putnam Museum