From:
Tracey Berg-Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:39:11 -0500
Hi Anne,
I am a bit of a tenement fanatic, haven written my dissertation on them,
although my specialty is the tenements of Glasgow, Scotland. The term
you're using isn't familiar to me in the context of Glasgow tenements, but
the concept of rooms off the hall, or small sublets within a larger
apartment is. In Glasgow tenements, the concept was one of life in 1
(sometimes 2) rooms is pretty familiar...beds in closets, laundry hung via
pulley system above the fire, food prep etc. all happening in the same
space. Each room was off a public hallway (close) that was considered
communal responsibility- cleaning was the responsibility of all, and was
done on a rota basis.

A good source for information on tenement life is this blog:
http://www.govanhistory.org.uk/agc_chapter_one_40.html  which talks a lot
about the practicalities of how the space worked, but there's also a great
oral history collection called Up Oor Close: Memories of Domestic Life in
Glasgow Tenements, 1910-1945
<http://www.amazon.com/Up-Oor-Close-Tenements-1910-1945/dp/0951312456> by
Jean Faley, and another book specifically about women's working lives in
the same vein called She Was Aye Workin': Memories of Tenement Women in
Edinburgh and Glasgow
<http://www.amazon.com/She-Was-Aye-Workin-Edinburgh/dp/1873487053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447273817&sr=1-1&keywords=She+was+aye+workin>
by
Helen Clark and Elizabeth Carnegie.

Harder to get hold of, and I might be willing to lend my copy if she's
interested (contact me and we'll work something out), is a binder of
documents published by the Mitchell Library in Glasgow called "Housing in
Glasgow 1845 (?) to 1920". It has a lot of the materials that were used to
pass sanitation legislation and other sorts of public documents and
archival material that shaped the way that housing was built and regulated
how people lived in those spaces. It's a fascinating collection of
documents.

As always, happy to chat about this one on one too. Don't know that I can
contribute anything mind boggling to the conversation, but I'm happy to
banter.

Cheers,
Tracey Berg-Fulton