From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 09:11:18 -0400
It's my opinion that anyone can get a job in the field if you equip yourself
properly, present yourself well, and be willing to move.
I embarked on this profession after graduate school in 1988, not the top
student in my classes (life was a heck of a lot of fun back then) but with
some good internships, a part time job as a docent at a children's museum,
and good references from the internships.
I recall being told that I'd be lucky if I made $14,000.  Well, it's all
good...Rolling Rock was cheap back then.  I interviewed for a very important
internship at Independence Hall (didn't get it, thrilled to be interviewed)
for $11,000...and would have had to figure out how to live in Philly on
that.
Instead I ended up with a one year grant funded position in a very small
city in NE NC, and felt wonderfully privileged to have that (at more than
$14,000, but not much).  I'm an urban Yankee type, but I didn't die out
there. It was great. And it got extended a second year.
Because of this discussion I looked at some ads in AASLH that I thought
entry level folks would have a shot at -- as long as you have some
internships that you can cobble together to make a good job history. I
think, at least in history museums, the 3-5 years experience is valid
because some of the work is tricky, particularly if you're the only one in
your dept.  I know that I grew immensely in that 3 years after grad school
(well, I also grew in an unfortunate way, having indulged in too much
southern fried deliciousness).
Just keep the faith.  I'm speaking more to history museum folk, as art
museums are very mysterious to me.
Best wishes,
Candace Perry