From:
"Elizabeth A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:08:24 -0400
Is there a company who could donate freezer trucks for temporary use until
the museum has electricity, supplies, etc. again?  We have had a good deal
of success in local trucking firms donate use of their trucks, whether for
short term storage on-site when we run out of room for shipping crates or
for transporting specimens.  We have even had driver time donated to deliver
the trucks, set them up, and then pick up again.

Do any local grocery stores have freezer space theat could be temporarily
used?  This might not be doable because of potential contamination to the
food products stored inside but it never hurts to ask.  What about a grocery
sotre that has recently closed?  You might be able to get power donated from
the local power company to turn the freezers back on.  The property owner
would probably want the museum to sign a liability waiver to use the
building but we have found that owners of empty buildings in our town are
generous in letting us borrow space; a building that is occupied even
temporarily is less likely to suffer from vandalism than one that is
continuously empty.

Dr. Elizabeth A. Moore, Curator
Virginia Museum of Natural History
1001 Douglas Avenue