From:
Peter Trowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:03:35 -0000
Here at the Glasgow School of Art we've worked closely with Bonhams and
formerly with Phillips the international auctioneers who, for the past two
years, have staged an annual design sale ('Design 1860 to the present day')
within the School's prestigious Mackintosh Building. A third sale (by
Bonhams) takes place later this month.

In effect, the School simply supplys the auctioneer with an attractive and
unique venue for the viewing and actual sale in return for a standard
commercial rental of our gallery space and we've even managed to persuade
the auctioneer to become one of the School's corporate partners.

However, the School has found a number of additional benefits to be had from
such a commercial agreement. In particular, the School's curatorial and
exhibitions staff make every effort to mingle with the auctioneer's staff
and clients. Introductions are made so that private collectors (who maybe
interested in buying from the sale) are made aware of the School's own
important, and permanent, design collections and likewise the School get to
learn of private collections which may become accessible (via loans) for
exhibition purposes in the future.

All-in-all the arrangment works well. The Glasgow School of Art benefits
from its links with the auctioneer, gets plenty of free press and publicity
associated with the sale, whilst the auctioneer secures added value by being
associated with an internationally respected cultural and educational
institution.

Peter Trowles MLitt., FRSA
Taffner Curator, Mackintosh Collection
Glasgow School of Art