From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:55:09 -0000
Richard

How do you fix the interior windows without damaging the historic
structure (I assume that if you've got historic glass then the
surrounding frame and structure are equally historic)?  Also doesn't the
addition of a storm window have a greater effect on the appearance of
the historic building than replacing some of the historic glass with
modern glass?  Our experience is that if applied and removed with care
by contractors who are used to working with historic glass most historic
window glass is robust enough to survive the process.

However for visible light I would suggest the use of blinds (or shutters
if these are historically appropriate). Where the view is considered
important you might consider a combination of two blinds.  A semi
transparent blind during opening hours which will reduce light levels
but still allow the view to be appreciated and an opaque "blackout"
blind for when the room is closed to the public.

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar
English Heritage, 1 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London, EC1N 2ST
Tel 020 7973 3482