From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:06:48 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Perry <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>This is to inquire about the status of the Accession Book in museum
>record keeping. It has been recommended by one of our staff to abandon
>keeping this book in favor of computerized records with a hard copy work
>sheet.  The worksheet information would be entered into the computer.
>I would like to get some feedback as to making a fundmental change such
>as this.

You need a record of accessioning that cannot be changed, without
leaving visible trace of the change being made.

For example, if I were to donate to your museum an object worth a lot of
money, and then decided I'd rather have the money, you'ld need some way
of proving that I gave it, and didn't loan it.  with a computerised
record, I could simply break in (or exploit my position as a volunteer
or employee), alter the 'method of acquisition field in that object's
computer record, and bobs-your-uncle, I own it again.

A way around this is to print-out an acquistions register (use laser-
jet, or bubble-jet with waterproof ink), on pH neutral paper (important,
as the ink is acid).  The person who would normally sign-off each page
of the accession register needs to sign off each page of the print out.
Then the print-out has to be bound (so that I don't simply remove the
page with my object on it, leaving no trace that I donated it!).
Numbering each page is a good precaution, too, especially if you only
have a few aquisitions, and only bind annually.  Print-outs should be
ideally done each time you reach a page-worth: you could put the date of
print-out onto the header for each page, so that any delay between
accessioning and the printing-out to the register is recorded.

This depends partly on your local legal framework: you need to know what
you need to prove title to your objects.

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds
at home