From:
Barbara Hass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:03:41 -0400

Here is an SAA PDF with box label details and other processing guides spelled out:
See page 15

http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/museum/standards/10-ProcessingMaterial_TheHistoricNewOrleansCollection_01Jun2012.pdf

found by a web search using the terms
artifact box numbering labels saa

Other hits will provide details from other archives.

Best wishes, Barbara, retired librarian