From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 19:08:04 -0400
Rachael,

Old chemicals should always be evaluated for stability before anyone attempts to move or handle  them - certain chemicals (such as old peroxides) can crystallize and form extremely unstable and potentially explosive solutions if mishandled (never open the caps or lids on old bottles - never shake a bottle). Not that you have something that serious but having once had a close encounter with old chemicals in a musuem facility that contained unstable peroxides I offer this as a caution (yes, the bomb squad was called in and the state attorney general got invovled).

Write down all the label information or take good quality digital photos of the labels and get that information into someone who deals with hazardous chemicals. University chemistry departments or AV departments are great resources and often a university will partner with a museum to handle their very small generation of wastes and combine yours with theirs for disposal.

You cannot simply "toss" hazardous chemicals. If you are caught doing this the state and federal penalties can be severe - it isn't only the chemical but anything contaminated by it in improper disposal that you are liable for.

Years ago, when I was the hazardous materials coordinator for our musuem division (a nice added benefit of being an institutionalized conservator) I ended up dealing with these issues in some depth.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator