From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:19:23 EDT
Hi Everyone,

This Dogs vs. Kids argument isn't the issue. There are equally well behaved
dogs and kids and others that are high-spirited that tend to create chaos
around them.

The real issue is what is acceptable and proper behavior for the individual
site, be it a nature museum, art museum, children's museum, or historic site.

Visitors should have clear guidelines for what is expected BEFORE they pay
their admission fees. That means either having signage or knowledgeable staff
explaining the behavior policies to the public as soon as they walk in the door.

I worked at a major history museum where I witnessed almost everything - from
teenagers with switchblades, to tobacco chewing types who spit everywhere, to
French sea cadets who vomited everywhere because diesel fuel had gotten into
their drinking water on the ship that morning, to women with dogs in their
purses, to smokers who refused to put out their cigarettes and cigars, to adults
who sat in period chairs even behind the barriers, to a 10 year old who had an
epileptic seizure.

The vast majority of the tens of thousands of people who I encountered over
the years were fine and respected the site and the collections and were
considerate of others around them.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey