From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:08:04 +0000
Tori,
Sorry I just saw this.  Really, there is not a difference unless your organization has established one.   The Deed of Gift, Donation form, Donation agreement or Gift Agreement are all names for the same legal document that transfers ownership of real property to the museum.  These items may include artifacts to be added to the permanent collection but them may not.  They could also include items such as computers for the office, vehicle for maintenance, craft paper for education, and the list goes on and on.

That said, your institution/policies/governing body may require that you use one form for artifacts (deed of gift) and another for non-artifact real property.  This happens sometimes when the Deed of Gift verbiage is tied directly and specifically to accessioning and they want similar paperwork but with different verbiage for non-artifact donations.

Side note, without seeing these forms, there is one other possibility.  One place I worked had what was called a donation form but it was not legal paperwork.  It was a form for registration activities that gave detailed information and history on the object.  It was typically filled out by staff and contained no signatures from the donor.  This was an in-house form which they required but was not something all other museums would have used.

Hope this helps
Tracie