From:
Trevor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:28:37 +0000
Backpacks carry a particular risk of causing damage.  There is a much greater risk of inadvertantly knocking into an object with a back pack because the person carrying it is considerably less aware of where the bag is than if they have a bag they carry in their hand.

We ban backpacks at our historic houses for this reason.

Both people carrying bags and lockers pose security risks from a terrorist perspective (although the risks are different).  Bags carried round with you can also pose a risk from a theft point of view.

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage
Room G01, 23 Savile Row, London, W1S 2ET, UK
tel: +44 (0)20 7973 3482 fax: +44 (0)20 7973 3001 (GTN  3503 3482)

>>> Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]> 01/11 4:42 pm >>>
Concerning the use of lockers, personally I hate it.  If I am carrying the
bag, I must be doing so for a reason and having to put it in a locker
defeats that reason entirely.  Frankly, in Europe, I have never been asked
to leave my bag.  Have staff check it going in and out, yes, but leave it
somewhere, no.  I know many people who feel the same way and some that feel
the opposite: they see lockers as a convenience.  You'll get some of both,
no doubt.

However, I understand that there just some environments where it is a safety
issue for the collections to have people with large bags wondering around
(due to space constraints).  I think this needs to be explained UP FRONT.  I
especially like the parking lot idea.  It really pisses me off to have to
walk back to the car because they won't let my all-in-one purse/diaper bag
backpack in the museum. (Actually I left, because no mother in her right
mind would go anywhere with an 8 month old and no diaper bag,)

My biggest peeve however, is that many museums seem to discriminate based on
age of carrier or type of bag.  I have been asked to leave my backpack when
older women with purses the same size are not asked to leave theirs.  And
when I did carry a large purse-type diaper bag combo, I wasn't asked to
leave it and others with school backpacks on were asked to leave theirs.
Inconsistency looks very discriminatory.

I would think that being up front and consistent would be key.  Also, why
are you asking for people to put their bags in lockers?  If it is due to
space constraints, I think most people will understand and accepting.  If it
is because you think someone might bring something in or out of the museum,
I think bag checking is a much better solution personally.