From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:25:06 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/05 8:38:18 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Feel free to respond off-list.
> ---------------------

No, ~please~ do NOT "feel free to respond off list". . . .    The issue of
vacation time came up around here and I'd love to hear the outcomes (and forward
them on to my board!)

I thought tossing out questions and having some disscussion was the whole
concept of this list?   Aren't we all here to learn from each other?   If it's
one thing I've learned in my rather short museum career, it's that most museums
are in the same boat.    We all have very similar problems, and challenges,
yet through networking can work to overcome these issues

The only times I'd encourage someone to reply "off list" is if they're
signing up for a seminar, replying to a job interview, or chimming in about the
whole ID discussion (ahh -- give it a REST folks!)    If folks *do* -- for
whatever reason -- request replies "off list" then please could the requestor at
least compile and post a summary of the results to us listers.    That way it'll
save us from asking the same questions, and help us all become better museum
professionals.

. . . . and in response to the origional question -- I've been employed at my
current museum for five years, and get two weeks vacation.   We have a paid
staff of two, and a budget of about $150,000.

- David -
David Lewis, Curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum