From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:42:32 -0700
--- Astrida Schaeffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> And if I learned anything, it's that the correct
> underpinnings and accessories (headwear, shoes) are what make the difference
> between shabby dress-up costume (hee hee hee, look at me in my funny duds)
> and a serious effort at looking like you stepped out of time (these are the
> clothes in which I live and experience the events around me).

While I agree with you 100%, I think for this particular museum you have to
take some other factors into consideration.

Corsets MUST be made for the person who is wearing them. I don't think a museum
is going to want to get custom corsets for their teen-age docents. They'll
outgrow them within a year. Generic sizes really aren't an option as there's
nothing worse than wearing an ill-fitting corset and something I wouldn't want
to inflict on teen-agers.

Most period outfits can be fudged to be worn without corsets and while not
period correct, I think they are a good compromise between cost, effeciency and
durability. And if the girl chooses to make her own corset or have one made,
the styles will work as well.

Note these are teen-agers we're talking about here, not adults. If the museum
wanted clothing for adults then I'd say that corsets are a must. Adults won't
outgrow them (or shouldn't as the case may be :) and will probably stick around
docenting long enough to make the time and expense of making a corset worth it.

Deb