From:
"D. Neil Bremer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 07:22:54 -0500
The thought that our relationship with the youth of today is relative and
concern over their behavior is a constant throughout history caught my eye
this morning.

While there is ample evidence that teenage disruptions have been going on
for quite some time,  I cannot help but think about the path of society and
evidence that it is not circular or simply repetitive.

While kids have been "acting up" forever...I do not think that even 10
years ago anyone would have believed that kids would kill kids in schools
with the frequency we see.

If society does exhibit some sort of linear path and the outcome is not a
good one,  I can only believe it's because we do not "sweat the small stuff".

As a museum director, I choose to sweat the small stuff.  At the same time
I try to engage teens in dialogues about what will engage them and help
them decide to become involved...I ride them pretty hard about behavior,
manners, courtesy, and proper language.  I do that to my own son.

Teens need to be embraced and loved, but at the same time they require
guidance and an understanding of accountability and consequences.

It's suppose to come from the parents.  I pray that my son doesn't learn to
be disrespectful from me.

Just last weekend, we buried my 82 year old father-in-law, a nationally
known choir director and music teacher.  Former students from the
1950s-1970s flew into Chicago from all over the country to perform and
speak at his memorial service.  I think of one former student from the late
60s telling the story about being kicked out of choir because he wouldn't
get a required haircut.  And while the whole "hair" issue of the 60s and
70s may seem minor, this young man told everyone how HE had decided to go
into teaching and that he now realized that his music teacher was holding
him to a higher standard.

I think as museum directors, we want to at least try to have a higher
standard.

D. Neil Bremer
Executive Director
Elmhurst Art Museum

D. Neil Bremer
Bremer Communications
Image and Communication Skills for Business
Office: (708) 848-5945
Fax:    (708) 848-6011
Email:  [log in to unmask]