From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:02:26 +0000
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, thegentry.com project wrote:

> i totally disagree that frontpage should be tossed. that statement is too
> extreme and unjustified in that post.
>
> i've seen a number of pages done in frontpage (mine is one of them) that
> have pleased me, my needs, and my industry greatly. remember one thing - a
> quality page lies with the designer -not the program being used. the program
> just faciliates the work. you can do everything you need to with frontpage,
> with great ease.

=================================

This is true but only up to a point.

I don't think that the final visual appearance is all that matters. Our
University's policy is to use FrontPage, but there are serious problems
with it in terms of producing documents that fully comply with HTML
standards.  Like MS Word "Saved as" HTML - which FrontPage is obviously
very close to, the files are littered with dozens, often hundreds of
spurious or unnecessary HTML commands in relation to W3C standards, and
which produce very messy and over-large HTML files.  Particularly annoying
and time-wasting when trying to tidy up or edit FrontPage files is the
practice of inserting a separate font on and then font off typeface and
size command on every single paragraph, while one of the key features of
HTML is that once "switched on" a command (e.g. <H2> <STRONG> etc. should
stay switched on through the document until cancelled by the appropriate
close command - (e.g. </H2> </STRONG>).

Patrick Boylan