From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:43:07 -0800
Well ok, perhaps I was a bit offensive to some with
the whole "frontpage should be tossed" comment, but I
am just not a believer in it.  I have had too many
problems.  But I will also take offense (right back at
me...fair enough) at the statement about the "bells
and whistles."

I would like to agree with this statement--"remember
one thing - a quality page lies with the designer -not
the program being used. the program just faciliates
the work."  This is why I suggest having some
knowledge of the design world.  The original post said
she had knowledge of exhibit design (which I wish I
could get into).  I think that kind of knowledge will
pay off.  You will know that content is important, but
you dont want to say too much.  If you think about it
exhibit design is focused on "stickyness" as much as
web designers are.  That design ethic will work well
for any web designs.  Now of course she does need the
tools, because she is a quality designer (I assume).

I did check out "the gentry" page and I find it well
done.  I would want a page to look like this for
contemporary art (ok, bias, but hey).  I dont want my
pages to have all the bells and whistles, but I DO
want my page to have a degree of interactivity, easy
navigation, and quick load time.

Often times the e-commerce world is overladen with the
so-called "bells and whistles" because it has to be
flashy to sell.  But I have seen that those of us in
the museum/non-profit/preservation (what have you)
worlds are quite content to have very solid, well
designed sites.  I certainly hope that I have not
fallen prey to the bells and whistles.  I have some
java script but that is soley for interactivity and
navigation.  And I will take offense if it is said
that interactivity and navigation aren't important to
web sites (its the web for heavens sake!).

So yes, point taken, I was a bit hasty in saying "off
with their heads" with Frontpage.  I have used it.  I
dont like it...my opinions do not reflect those of
anybody else (unless they agree).  oops!

Aaron

=====
Aaron [log in to unmask]
Web Designer