From:
Erin Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:11:53 -0400
Hi Carol:

I would suggest talking with the people who created your carpeting and ask
them for suggestions. My suggestion would be green baise druggets. These are
historically accurate - though intended to go under a table rather than
under a gaggle of fourth graders.

At The Farmers' Museum, we have accurate reproduction carpeting in one of
our historic buildings and invite visitors to walk on it.  Here are some of
the steps we take to care for it:

1) make sure there are many opportunities for visitors to remove grit from
their shoes before coming into the building (lots of outdoor matting) (If
possible, work a buffer area into your tour path - about 20 feet of regular
carpeting, hard wood flooring or non-historic floor covering that will
absorb most of the grit from visitor shoes.)
2) we have runner/druggets in the areas most commonly tread upon. These can
be washed in the washing machine on gentle cycle with cold water and a small
amount of orvus
3) incessant daily vacuuming.

Keep in mind that it is really the abrasive action of working the stones and
dirt into the carpet fibers that will break down the carpets over time.  The
more often you remove the grit, the longer your carpets will last.

All of our carpets come from Thistle Hill Weavers - they have a website. I
cannot recommend them highly enough.

Secondly, I recently visited a restoration at Hampton near Baltimore (a
national park service site). I believe most of the interior was curated by
Gregory Weidman. They also have brand new historic carpeting. There, they
used bound grass matting in the areas with lots of visitor foot traffic.
Another good solution.

Good Luck - and remember that carpet is ephemeral.  There is nothing you can
do to make it last forever. And, since it is venitian and striped and
seamed, it should be fairly easy to have worn areas patched in sections.
Make sure you get some extra carpeting from your supplier and plan ahead for
such an eventuality.

Sincerely,

Erin Crissman Richardson
Curator