From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:02:00 -0500
Jennifer--

This is a big question and will have a wide range of answers.

The actual construction costs will vary widely depending on where you
are (rural or urban) and what you are building (a storage shed or a
fine art museum). In the past few years, we have had projects with
construction costs ranging from $200 to $800/SF.  With the rising cost
of steel and the constrained labor market, $200/SF is probably
unrealistic anywhere in the country for a building with a controlled
environment. One of the benchmarks I often give people is to ask a
local real estate or building professional what the construction cost
for "A1" office construction is in your city.  This is the highest
quality office space and is a good starting place for thinking about
museum construction costs. Construction costs have also been rising
dramatically in the past three years--as much as 20% per year in some
markets--so be sure to adjust for that.

When you talk to people, it is critical to distinguish between
construction cost and project cost. Construction cost is what the
contractor will charge you to build the building.  Project cost
includes all the other items not included in the construction, such as
planning, design and engineering, furniture and fixtures, exhibits,
moving, project management, escalation, endowment (sometimes), and
contingency. These costs will add anywhere from 50% to 100% to the
cost of the project. When you get a square foot cost, be sure to ask
what it includes.

Good luck!

Guy

> For those of you who’ve built additions and/or new museum structures
> in the past five years could you give me an estimate as to what your
> cost per square foot turned out to be?  It doesn’t have to be
> exact.  I’m just looking for ballpark figures.

Guy Hermann
Director of Museum Planning
E. Verner Johnson and Associates
Museum Architects and Planners