From:
Murph the Surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:51:59 +0000
Andrew Reinhard wrote:

 hearing that there are, say, museums in China which have
> some "lost" examples would make my day.  Thanks in advance.

Sometimes all one has to do is turn the lights on in the front hall of
the French Consulate in NY and you find a Michaelangelo (maybe).

I wouldn't doubt there are antiquities that were used for ballast that
ended up in odd places in China. It would be interesting to know more.

On a related note:
There was a book by Jonathan Spence called "The Memory Palace of Mateo
Ricci" a few years about about the Jesuits in China that was facinating.
and about the different perceptions cultures have of each other's
objects. And the Brooklyn Museum had an exhibit a few years ago about
how the East portayed the West in art.

ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
http://artnetweb.com/artnetweb/
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013  212 925-1885