From:
"W. Coones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 11:52:49 -0800
The reason we as a country and we as museum people still need to use
words like "sensitivity" and "diversity" stems from the fact that we are
still a nation divided by race, background, economics, and education
level.  Museums are informal educational institutions.  We work with the
public to share information and guide understanding.  I have yet to
visit a museum who should not reach for an audience as diverse as this
country's entire population. Can we maintain diversity and still be
sensitive to one another?  Can we look at diversity as an asset rather
than a liability?

Museums are a business... a business focused on education.  Are we
inviting our visitors into our space because we genuinely care about
their learning, or because we care about their money?  We MUST be
sensitive to the people who come to museums with a desire for knowledge
and a slim pocketbook.  A private, for-profit museum has the perogitive
to be exclusive and insensitive.  I would hope a public, non-profit
museum sees its entire community as the target audience.  In this day
and age working with a diverse community requires sensitivity.

p.s.  As a person with a tight pocketbook I rarely return to businesses
where I am accosted by salespeople.(people and layout)  I do appreciate
being informed of goods and services and being allowed to make choices.

you wrote:
I am getting sick and tired of hearing the words "sensitive" and
"diverse". In my opinion, diversity is what is tearing our musuem
apart.  It used to be we were united, but with all this gargabe recently
worshipping "sensitivity" and diversity" we are rapidly heading down the
drain.

I know what I an saying is not politically correct--I'm sick and tired
of that too.  Someday enough people will recognize the problem and the
pendulum will change to where we again become the UNITED STATES and
remember our heritage as it is expressed FROM MANY, ONE. Until that
time, I fear for our future.   George

George,... Have we ever been a country that is not diverse.  "United"
describes our geographical boundries and governance, not our society.

Wendy