From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:31:37 -0800
I've been half-reading this discussion, half-amused and half-annoyed by its
tone of "I'm right and you're wrong."  The reference to Haussner's caught my
eye, however, in part because it was one of my favorite restaurants for all
the reasons cited.

This remark by David, however, seems to be something rather important.

<<The varied associations, opinions, and experiences which people attribute
something don't necessarily represent part of its basic definition.
However,
since these associations can become so powerful that they can result in
altering public perception of the nature of an object or institution, they
can find their way into a dictionary definition by default.  Some people
consider this phenomenon a natural, healthy evolution of the language, but I
advocate a critical approach to language, in the interest of clear
communication.  My feeling is that museums have a duty to their publics (and
to our common language) to remind the public of their essential nature.  If
people--including those who work in museums--equate one component of
museums,
such as the educational museum exhibition, and/or ancillary features, such
as
outreach, community gathering place, etc., with the museum itself, the
unique
essence of a museum can become lost in the shuffle.  My fear is that one
educational function of museums, the availability of collections for
research,
can be downplayed or forgotten, by an overemphasis on an incomplete
understanding of museums, and I think this is already happening in some
museums. >>

Neither the idea of the museum nor language is inherently static.  Anyone
can establish something they call a museum (and certainly the sense of
Haussner's clientele was that the place was both restaurant and museum) and
anyone can use a word in any way that they wish.  I may find certain
"museums" laughable and I may find certain shifts in language intolerable,
but I can only ignore the former and resist the latter.

Inasmuch as we are museum professionals, however, I think a conservative
position best serves the past and prepares for the future.  I use
"conservative" here in the literal and not in the ideological sense.  It is
the secure tripod of collecting, conserving/preserving, and
interpreting/educating that makes a museum, I believe, the thing about which
we are all so obviously passionate.  Within each museum's unique community,
mission, and needs, the importance of any leg of the tripod may wax or wane.
Moreover, the opportunity for new perspectives or original thinking is even
greater when a museum makes a change, installs an exhibition, or whatever,
when that change or exhibition stands in strong contrast to the expectations
and experience of its audience.

However, my metaphor of a tripod does not mean that I believe that each leg
should be equal in length and substance at all times.  I believe that a
"balanced" approach is determined over time.  Over long periods of time.
Eventually, one might discover that just as a word as fundamentally changed
its locus in language, one might also discover that there has been a change
in the definition of a museum.  However I also believe that there is value
in the regular application of brakes to the process.  I believe that change
and challenge are essential to many aspects of the museum, from its
definition to its public offerings.  I think that positions in the core
identity of a museum that are extreme relative to the traditional definition
of a museum are worrisome.

By way of a postscript, I would also like to add that the list is some ways
puts me in mind of recent newspaper and magazine essays on the problems that
email has brought to families.  The tendency to speak quickly in email, and
the odd neutrality of  the medium, both seem to encourage misunderstanding.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Ellen B. Cutler
Aberdeen, MD