From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:53:10 -0800
As a former museum educator, I can attest to the magnitude of the problem of
"silly docent tales."

I think David is in general correct in laying responsibility at the
administrative door.  Docents are any museum's or historic house's primarily
contact with the public.  Rightly or wrongly, they speak with the authority
of the institution.

One problem is that there is a constant need to increase docent groups, to
have backups during snowbird flight, to have adequate numbers during the
school visitation crunch that occurs generally in April, May and early June.
Not only are most (not all, but way too many) training programs too shallow,
but most programs are conducted without any input from the curatorial staff.
Most museums cannot afford to hire a competent scholar to work exclusively
with docents, and the "docent coordinator" position is more often than not a
bottom-rung, entry-level, and revolving-door position.

A great many docent programs are independent volunteer organizations that
run themselves with little oversight from the institution.  The "teachers"
more often than not in these situations tend to be the docents of longest
standing and strongest personalities, not necessarily docents who truly know
their stuff.  Moreover, many of these docents tend to be donors and
community honchos, and their pockets are more important to the
administration than the educational work (or damage) they do.

The other problem is that information in museums is rarely static.
Paintings are reattributed, renamed, reconsidered; science changes; history
is reevaluated.  A docent who learned "correct" material during his/her
initial training my never be able to unlearn that material when it becomes
incorrect.

The Getty produced a study about art museum education in 1985 called "The
Uncertain Profession."  It was, for me, depressing and discouraging.  I am
not under the impression that much has changed since then.

The Museum Education List is a terrific place to go to discuss docents.  You
can contact them at [log in to unmask]

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates - Writing, Editing, Proofreading, Research Services
Aberdeen, MD  21001