From:
Robert Vosburgh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:09:40 -0500

 David,

You should have a tax attorney review the part of your form that "gives [you] permission to dispose of the item as [you] see fit if [you] don't want it for the collection."? Under the "related use" rule, a donor's deduction for a gift of tangible personal property could be reduced to cost basis rather than FMV if the donee organization doesn't intend to use it for an exempt purpose at the time the gift is made.

Robert Vosburgh, Jr., Esq.
Associate Professor
Museum Communication
The University of the Arts