From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:32:33 +0100
In about 1988 the newly appointed Curator of the outstanding Jade Museum,
San Jose, Costa Rica, owned and run by the country's national insurance
company, discovered that in addition to the large collection of
Pre-Colombian jade artefacts and works of art on display, the
organisation had also been building up secretly what must have been one of
the biggest collections in the world of Pre-Colombian sex objects and
obscene art.  (You wouldn't believe what two or three cooking pots are
capable of doing when they think nobody is looking!).

This secret collection was not on display, except during private events
such as Board meetings and dinners.

To the great embarassment of those responsible for this particular aspect
of the insurance organisation's art "investment" the new (female) curator
inssited in putting the lot on display - filling the whole of the entrance
gallery in the process!

I have often walked past the Amsterdam Sex Museum (note that the name is
in English not Dutch - indicating the expected audience?) but I have never
been in it (honest!!).  However, I'm fairly sure it is a thoroughly
commercial (in every sense) exhibition, presumably using mainly replacas
and - particularly - graphics (high quality ones - judging by the examples
on display outside).

Patrick Boylan