From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 09:40:51 -0700
Carolyn Collins wrote:
> My personal concern with a long distance learning
> program is the lack of critical thought. Attending a
> program allows daily interaction with professionals -
> their ideas and their continual challenges to your
> point of view. I felt getting the MA was is some ways
> like intellectual puberty. I realize with long
> distance learning there is email etc connection to
> tutors but the learning process is still too much you
> & yourself. The exposure to others more learned and
> their nudging you out of your comfort zone are where
> the most growth for me occured on this degree.

Both onsite and distance learning have the potential for either stimulating
and challenging interaction with professionals and colleagues. It depends
entirely on the program. I am currently enrolled in a Masters of
Organizational Management program at the Fielding Institute. The level of
dialogue and discussion has far exceeded anything in my prior experience. (I
took several combined undergraduate/graduate courses previously, so I feel I
have some basis for comparison.)

I believe that face-to-face learning experiences allow access for those who
require more than verbal cues and support development of spontaneous
thinking and response. Online learning is more reflective. My program is in
a web-based, asynchronous environment. I have the luxury of reviewing
previous responses or even reading a book before responding. This enables
discussions to go much deeper than in a typical classroom. Much of our work
is in groups. This helps us understand group dynamics, build on each other's
expertise and interests, and experience various group processes. (Much like
work in the real world.) Because my classmates (and instructors for that
matter) are from all over the world, I get a broader perspective of the
field and the great variety of practices and situations one might employ or
encounter. Finally, the asynchronous nature of the program enables me to
expand my learning while continuing full time in my job and maintaining my
community volunteer work. I can "be" in class anywhere there is a computer -
at any time of day or night. This flexibility has been essential.

My advice - if you are considering a particular distance learning program -
is to contact current students and alumni. Ask them the questions that most
concern you. (My key questions were "What did you get out of this program?,"
"Was it worth it?," and "How did you fit school work into your life?") The
answers to these questions - along with other insights from students, alumni
and faculty helped me choose the program I would persue. So far, the
experience has been invaluable.

Note: The opinions experessed above are entirely my own.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Evaluation Manager                       [log in to unmask]
The Tech Museum of Innovation            408-795-6303
201 South Market Street                  fax: 408-279-7167
San Jose, California USA 95113           http://www.thetech.org