From:
c collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 07:04:56 -0700
 Hello,
I am in a Master's program in Conservation studying
here in UK (I am from the US). Not that I am the
official expert on the subject but I have heard quite
bit about the Leicester MA Museum Studies program. It
is very respected and recognized internationally. It
is considered here to be perhaps the best MA in Museum
Studies program in the UK - even better than the UCL
program - although it is considered excellent.  I have
heard less about the distance learning program so as
far as that goes I cannot say much. Hope this bit of
info on the subject is useful.

My personal concern with a long distance learning
program is the lack of critical thought. Attending a
program allows daily interaction with professionals -
their ideas and their continual challenges to your
point of view. I felt getting the MA was is some ways
like intellectual puberty. I realize with long
distance learning there is email etc connection to
tutors but the learning process is still too much you
& yourself. The exposure to others more learned and
their nudging you out of your comfort zone are where
the most growth for me occured on this degree.
Just food for thought.
Cheers, Carolyn Collins
MA Art Conservation
De Montfort University