From:
Lissa Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:43:35 -0700
How much does the institution have available to give the intern?  To
respond directly to Christa's situation, if you have four staff and none of
them have the time to train or mentor the large number of interns you are
planning to bring on board, then you may want to consider reducing the
number of interns you accept.  One possible solution could be to take one
or two less experienced interns and one or two highly skilled interns; it
could institute an additional element of intern-to-intern mentoring that
would help reduce the intensity of staff supervision.

I have both supervised interns and been an intern several times over. I a
skilled intern who has gone back to graduate school after working in one
area of the field for almost 10 years.  I have completed 3 internships with
an ongoing 4th and can say with some confidence, if there is not a staff
member dedicated to the supervision of a larger number of interns, none of
the interns will be very successful and the minimal amount of divided time
that partially dedicated staff can invest will be wasted.  I quit an
internship that had too many interns to one supervisor who also had other
duties.  The museum lost out on a skilled intern because they were spread
too thinly to support me even minimally.  Of course having too many interns
to too few staff is frustrating; it goes both ways if interns don't get
enough access to the people who are supposed to be teaching them.  If
interns knew everything they could learn on the job, why would they
intern?  Why wouldn't they just try to get a job?  Is it possible to poll
your previous interns about strengths and weaknesses of their experiences
at your institution and about the adequacy of the teaching/supervision they
received?  This information might help in selecting interns who are
appropriate for the level of supervision and teaching that the
institution is able to provide.

Conversely, I was very unskilled when I began my first internship and had
not yet considered going into the field; in fact, I had absolutely no idea
what I wanted to do and only was 9 months from graduating with my BA.  I
was the only intern at my institution and had an involved supervisor who
knew what to delegate and what to do alongside me.  That experience
directly led to me working in visitor services and museum education for the
next ten years.  Another internship I did along the way allowed me to
expand into administrative aspects and ultimately led me back to school.
Graduate school internships have opened my eyes to how much I LOVE the
tedium of collections management.  They have also taught me how to ask for
the opportunities I need to learn and when I am being asked for work that
is not reasonable.

Good luck, Alex!

Lissa Kramer
Master's Candidate