From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:07:50 -0500
While finding an internship in a museum is good advice and a good way to
get one's foot in the door, I disagree with Mike Rippy's assertion that
an MLS degree is a solid credential for a library OR museum.  An MLS
degree is a solid credential for a library position, not a museum
position generally speaking.  With 17 years of museum experience (I have
an MA in museum studies) I recommend that if someone wants to work in a
museum, working with collections and conservation and preservation of
collections, or exhibitions,  he or she obtain an MA  or certificate in
museum studies - not an MLS.  There might be some overlap, but an MLS
degree is not good preparation by itself for strictly museum work.  I
don't understand why Mike Rippy would say that "The MLS degree is a
solid credential for either setting."  I am not against library degrees,
they are fine, but someone with a MLS degree may not be well qualified
for museum work based on degree alone.

Arlyn Danielson

Newseum