From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:49:17 -0700
Leonora,

I think it all depends on the specifics of how you staff and run tours in
your historic house.

If all tours are escorted by staff and if they are not dealing with groups
of 50 pre-teens, then going minimal might be fine. If you have someone at
the door and people are turned loose to tour themselves then you may need
much more substantial barrier systems.

If you go minimal one idea may even be to install those proximity alarms
that you see in galleries of art museums where a high-pitched sound goes off
if someone gets too close.

If you go for something substantial then plexi panels in a metal frame with
a hinged gate that can be padlocked works well.

I do have to say, and I know that all my museum colleagues know this, that
it can be a revelation to walk into a period room without barriers. Your
whole sense of the space and furnishings in so much more immerse and real.

As in all things cultural and historic there is always the dialogue between
access and preservation.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey