From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:49:20 -0700
> NOW, the
> question, what are you doing to pay people for their
> time, do have
> contract, time cards, etc..?  How do you handle the
> IRS?

It sounds like your need is only for two part-time
employees. Although there should be a formal hiring
process, you probably do not need really-specific
contracts and you are certainly too small for
time-cards. And, yes, any time you pay anyone, you
will have to deal with the IRS.

> Is their just
> a thing as a Paid Volunteer?  Can you pay by a
> stipend?  What do your
> contracts look like?  Job descriptions?  Do you have
> a chain of command
> for ordering supplies, and for reviews, and
> evaluations?

Some type of job description, evaluation and review
system, and chain-of-command would be helpful. But,
with what looks like a small historical society
museum, do not spend a lot of time on these
things--just what is necessary for the employer and
employee to have a smooth operation.

Volunteers, by definition, are unpaid. You could
reimburse them for travel or other expenses, but if
you begin compensating their time on the job, they
have become an employee.

It sounds like you are just starting in the museum
business. You need to get professional help to answer
these questions.

You might start by checking with the Department of
Education in your state. If they cannot directly help
you, they can probably refer you to someone who can.

California should have state organizations regarding
museums and probably historical associations. These
organizations should also be able to help you.

Good luck!

gaw