From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 08:07:07 -0500
To Wayne Motts and other colleagues:

I empathize with your situation -- two seeming collections -- one for
education and another for everyone else. I stepped into a similar situation
as head of education in a museum five years ago.  There were phenomenal
biomaterials and artifacts stashed away in the biomaterials room that went
unused because, as one education manager put it "we don't want anything to
happen to them".  After I was there six months and had some idea of the
politics and alliances, I asked for volunteers among my staff of 25 and the
250 docents -- to take inventory of the biomaterials room and every single
item used in education -- from books, videos, audiocassetes, artifacts,
biomaterials, etc. (catalogued, classified, numbered, etc). I wanted staff
and volunteers and docents to be using those materials.  They were doing no
good gathering dust in a closet.

That took almost a year, and people were amazed by what we had.  I then put
all that informatoin into a massive database that I had created.  Then, in
colalboration with a subcomittee of education staff, docents and staff from
collections, we wrote a policy and procedure for where the items would be
kept (most in education dept but some in satellite areas around the grounds
for use by staff/volunteers), who could use them, yes, they could be checked
out (if staff in any dept or docents were making a presentation at a school,
church group, Scouts, whatever), a means of accountability if the items were
not returned and a check out sheet.  One of the education coordinators
assumed the task of monitoring this education material and repair process.

Staff and volunteers throughout the institution were thrilled to have these
materials available to them.  Other departments felt some "ownership"
because they have been involved in the process of cataloguing and developing
policy on use.  The ironic thing is, the materials are still used the
majority of the time by education staff.  But the tension that was once
there over these materials is gone because everyone now knows that they can
use them should the need or interest arise.  The public is being treated to
seemingly "new" programs and educational materials -- having never seen some
of this stuff before....everyone wins.

If you want to contact me offline, I'd be happy to talk with you about your
situation.  Good luck!

Kind regards,
Terrie
Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
www.tniconsultants.com

TNI Consultants in Professional Development
930 North Boulevard
Oak Park, Illinois 60301
708. 386. 1331