From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 1994 07:32:12 +0100
          I'm disturbed that they [ASTEC] have chosen this route, when the
          rest of us are setting up web and gopher servers to provide
          access to everyone. They're a fine organization, and I'd be
          interested in hearing why they went on compuserve.

Unfortunately, the Internet does not really provide "access to everyone."
In fact, we are a pretty elite bunch who do have the ability to take full
advantage of all its possibilities.  And it is an even more elite bunch who
are able to actually _provide_ Internet services.  The issue here, which few
seem to have considered, is one of _audience_.  It is not what is the best
technology, but what is the best way to provide the services you want to the
largest number of people who you want to reach.

It is easy to forget that the vast majority of institutions (especially
smaller ones) have no direct Internet connection and little likelihood of
having one in the next few years.  Sure, we can contract space on other
servers and leach on to other institutions, but this requires a fairly
sophisticated understanding of Internet services and of Unix.  Few
institutions have anyone on staff with that understanding.  This will
change, but for now services like Compuserve offer a convenient package of
services, with lots of support for providers and users, at a relatively
modest cost.  Do remember that the Internet is not "free," even if the bill
does not come to your desk.

Sure, we _should_ be on the Internet, but for many of us it is the Holy
Grail.  Commercial Services are excellent way for some us to learn the
benefits of online as we move up the on ramps.  Experiments like this are
the best way to find out how we can best reach our audiences.

          Why doesn't ASTC set up a listserv/newsgroup to echo these
          messages.  Are they getting a cut from the Compuserve forum?

This is an excellent idea.  They would probably be happy to, if they had
access to the technology and the ability to make it work.  In te meantime,
three cheers from me to ASTEC for finding a convenient way to reach a broad
cross section of their membership.

Guy Hermann      | Mystic Seaport Museum |  "Technology is lust removed
[log in to unmask]   | Mystic, Conn., USA    |    from nature."  Don Delillo